The Climate Change Bill contains provisions that will set a legally binding target for reducing UK carbon dioxide emission by at least 26 per cent by 2020 and at least 80 per cent by 2050, compared to 1990 levels.
- Requires the Government to publish five-yearly carbon budgets as from 2008
- Creates a Committee on Climate Change
- Requires the Committee on Climate Change to advise the Government on the levels of carbon budgets to be set, the balance between domestic emissions reductions and the use of carbon credits, and whether the 2050 target should be increased
- Places a duty on the Government to assess the risk to the UK from the impacts of climate change
- Provides powers to establish trading schemes for the purpose of limiting greenhouse gas
- Confers powers to create waste reduction pilot schemes
- Amends the provisions of the Energy Act 2004 on renewable transport fuel obligations.